LIVE AND LET LIVE!

LIVE AND LET LIVE!

Friday 14 November 2014

I SHOT AT THE COLONEL! (WELL, ALMOST!)

I SHOT AT THE COLONEL! (WELL, ALMOST!)



I joined   The  National Cadet Corps [ N C C ]  when I was in college.

N C C imparted military training to college students;  We were given training in the use of fire arms.


Then there was training in marching, with or without firearms.  

Attendance was  on weekends  and it was  compulsory.  

During training , you were treated almost like a soldier;

No  pussyfooting,  and if one committed errors , you were shouted   at  with  the choicest  abuses [shouting more severe , the higher the command] with  the usual four letter words associated  with  the army.

The  head of the corps was a  colonel  in   the army.  I have not seen him,  but from what I heard about him, he was a stern man always with a scowl on his face, while on duty.

Once, we were taken to a firing range , to shoot using  sten guns.  

WE were told to be smart in our appearance  as the colonel would be present to witness the event.   

During the drill, the colonel showed up and we were presented to him as a guard of honour.   

The colonel went about his inspection. He passed snide caustic remarks at each one before me.

Finally it was my turn to be looked upon;  

He saw me from head to toe;   "  You  f***ing c***  you have a one week beard on your face;  You have not ironed your clothes, and  your  bl***y   shoes are not polished "  he barked at me !    

For a moment, I was stunned to hear him, [ after all my efforts to be smart] and my hand involuntarily  pointed the gun at him!  

"Hey,  what are you doing ,   your gun  is pointing towards me , put down the gun " The colonel  barked again ; 

I quickly came back to my senses !!  

Later I was pardoned, and the incident was not reported.   

The army believes there is nothing called   perfection and every one has to strive to get there !!.



G.Venkatesh


   





.  

1 comment: